Re: [LUG] signs

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:38:01 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > I agree.  No need to overwhelm the user in the initial stages, but
> > equally this is not an Ubuntu User Group, so giving people 1 option
> > is not really acceptable.  *Recommending* a specific option and
> > hinting at the fact that there are others could well work though.
> >
> > Grant.
> >
> Maybe recommending what you're comfortable with would be a good
> idea. For instance, I've installed Ubuntu for a couple of people and
> I give them support, basically because it's what I know.  As great as
> say PCLinuxOS is, I don't know it that well so I wouldn't be able to
> offer much support for it.  I'm sure it would be the same for someone
> who uses PCLinuxOS and doesn't know Ubuntu too well.
>
> Rob

I think the big thing I'm getting at is that we shouldn't necessarily
be gravitating towards one specific distro and give the impression that
we are an XXXX User Group - we are a Linux User Group.  Making specific
recommendations on a personal level, and explaining that the reason
you're making that recommendation is because you (as a person) are
comfortable with it and will be able to give support (through the LUG
or otherwise) - there should be no problem with that.

But, as the original idea of this discussion was based around
(presumably large format - hanging variety?) signage for the LUG... I'm
still quite steadfastly against the idea of having a distro-specific
sign to advertise the LUG.

Grant.