Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

paul sutton wrote:
i thin 20 cd's cost about £20 from the ubuntu shop I am not sure if they are giving away lots of cd's any more, i did read that was stopping, there could be exceptions to the new policy if this exists.

You can do better than that!
Burn 2 cd's with ubuntu and ubunut minimal install
Install 1 computer with Ubuntu -  and set up APT-NG repository cache:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/apt-cacher-ng-http-download-proxy-for-software-packages.html
Install another machine with ubuntu minimal (20 meg so shouldnt take
long) modify it to use the above installed cache, set up grade working,
move onto the next.
I havent tried to upgrade the minimal install this way but on 100Meg
network it should install the upgrades a lot faster that loading from a
cd - and look pretty impressive as well.
I'd practise this at home but I'm lazy..
Tom te tom te tom

Ahh, slight problem with that. I get the impression Rhia was on about giving out CDs rather than actually running an install day. If anything I think the idea is have a couple of machines on hand which are running Ubuntu to demontrate it and then students can take away a CD to try.
Installing CD's is slow and scary - probably the bit that puts people off the most so a demo of that - running away at the side to show how easy it is....
Tom te tom te tom