Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Rhia Knowles wrote:
You guys give me an idea.

Has anyone a supply of official looking Ubuntu disks? You know, not
the obviously burned onto a cdr type? Just thinking if the LUG could
stage an Ubuntu day at the college (South Devon College). They had
demo tastings of Ubuntu Cola today and that + this conversation  made
me think it might be possible to talk to the Student Liason team who
usually arrange these kinda things.

The reason I mention official looking disks is, given the ignorance
shown by computer services, i suspect they will see cdrs and assume
piracy.

Issues: Would need to be in the week daytime to hit the largest number
of students. Would need people who could interest the kiddies, with a
couple of laptops to demo it with. All those Expensive disks we might
end up giving out. If we want Wifi someone would need to negotiate
access to the open Wifi whitelist since Linux wont run the Cisco Clean
Agent they use to ensure Windows is 100% up to date, AV'd and patched.

Pro: Showing the kiddies that Windows is not the one true path, plus
maybe a bit of 'try this in your laptop, see for yourself...'

Thoughts? I offer my services as woman on the spot to talk to college
and see what the issues are on their side.

good idea, i am usually free during the week, but would bve worriedf about my new netbook getting damaged,

I am happy to help out, can the college supply some PC's we can set up with ubuntu on so we can demo ?

i thin 20 cd's cost about £20 from the ubuntu shop I am not sure if they are giving away lots of cd's any more, i did read that was stopping, there could be exceptions to the new policy if this exists.

what age group do you mean by kiddies exactly. I anm sure I can keep under 5's happy with tux paint, under 10's with something like frozen bubble or tux racer, but teenagers may require something a bit more impressive.

Paul