[LUG] OT etymology now...

Simon Robert wrote:
On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 18:52 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Simon Robert wrote:

And can we quit using religious language when discussing this. If
someone described linux as a gospel to me I would never give it another
thought...
As a confirmed atheist myself, I have no issues with the word "gospel", although it has many meanings, I don't see any real religious overtones using the way we're using it here.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gospel

If you're on about the writings of people going on about the bloke who allegedly got nailed to a tree ~2000 years ago, it's usually capitalised.

You'll be winging about holy wars (cf. vi vs. emacs) next ;-)

Gordon

OK I know the literal translation is "Good News", but both capitalised
It comes from Godspell - sort of good period or time or possibly collection of ideas. The word God as good and good as god have been interchangeable - well since christian times in this country so it cant really be earlier than 4C.
However there is the gospel of St Barnabus which is Muslim so...
Goodbye comes from god be with you but I've yet to be punched by an atheist for saying it.
and lowercased the word has strong religious connotations. In biblical
studies the term Gospel usually refers to the written books of the
canonical bible, while gospel refers to non canonical (hmm, "canonical".
canonical in music sort of means circular or repeating/developing, in possibly the direct opposite in the meaning of say the cannon of Bachs works (sorry !)or any other literary cannon. Being autistic (some would say male) I much prefer the ones that go BANG! Which if you look (listen) back to early cannons sort of went sssSSSSWHoomph like a fast musical cannon... but they didnt have tape recorders then so...
Tom te tom te tom