Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Quoting tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

paul sutton wrote:
i thin 20 cd's cost about £20 from the ubuntu shop I am not sure if they are giving away lots of cd's any more, i did read that was stopping, there could be exceptions to the new policy if this exists.

You can do better than that!
Burn 2 cd's with ubuntu and ubunut minimal install
Install 1 computer with Ubuntu -  and set up APT-NG repository cache:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/apt-cacher-ng-http-download-proxy-for-software-packages.html
Install another machine with ubuntu minimal (20 meg so shouldnt take
long) modify it to use the above installed cache, set up grade working,
move onto the next.
I havent tried to upgrade the minimal install this way but on 100Meg
network it should install the upgrades a lot faster that loading from a
cd - and look pretty impressive as well.
I'd practise this at home but I'm lazy..
Tom te tom te tom

Ahh, slight problem with that. I get the impression Rhia was on about giving out CDs rather than actually running an install day. If anything I think the idea is have a couple of machines on hand which are running Ubuntu to demontrate it and then students can take away a CD to try.

Maybe a better idea would be to demonstrate it and rather than give away CDs, have a follow up 'install day' event where students can bring machines along, maybe to the Lighthouse or something like that when it's up and running.

Just thinking, with all the members of the Lighthouse Facebook group, if we could do an event with them they might be able to publicise it and get people along.

Rob