Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Recently I started a thread about spreading the Linux gospel, which
> provoked a lot of interest. I have been thinking about all that and my
> suggested reasons for the slow uptake and lack of interest there seems
> to be about Linux etc. Plus, of course, all the comments.
>
> I have now realised that there is probably one major reason for the
> problems we have in getting more people to try it. It is simply this, so
> many people have never heard of it.
>
> I am still taking any opportunity to talk about Linux and too many times
> the other person just doesn't know that such a thing exists. When I try
> to explain they are often very interested and say things like 'I wish I
> had known about that before'. Too many think that computers equals
> Windows, full stop.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Neil

How many people have installed an operating system; most computers come
with windows, and most people are too scared to mess with it.
also their first reaction is to head to the shop.  Look around pc world,
how many of the shiny , expensive boxes  contain software you  could
find  open source, free  alternatives  to.