Re: [LUG] SPAM ...

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 14:02 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, John Horne wrote:

> >> I belive DCC use SPF. Or at least they have in the past as it's caused
> >> irritation for me with some simple email expansion lists containing DCC
> >> staff members )-: So if you know anyone with a devon.gov.uk email
> >> address...
> >>
> > Well they seem to use SPF:
> >
> >   dig +short devon.gov.uk txt
> >   "\"v=spf1 a -all\""
> >
> > I assume though that the escaped quotes are invalid (thus rendering the
> > record invalid from an SPF checking point of view)?
>
> Oddly enough, I don't see the escaped quotes:
>
>    gordon @ yakko: dig +short devon.gov.uk txt
>    "v=spf1 mx -all"

Interesting. But note that your SPF record shows 'mx', whereas the one I
got shows 'a'.

The record I get seems to come from ns2.eclipse.net.uk, whereas the
records from 'ns1.devon.gov.uk' show the non-quoted 'mx' record. So it
seems that their name servers are not quite in sync with respect to the
TXT records, although the SOA shows the same serial numbers. Odd.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001