Re: [LUG] SPAM ...

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I know and I'm usually the first one to rubbish it too, but I did read something recetly about 53% of mail hosts use it now - it'd need to be 100% to be effective though...

No SPF is "effective" in that it authenticates the IP address of sending server. It won't solve spam even at 100%, as it addresses only authenticity of sender IP not spam.

I very much doubt the 53% of server use SPF, possible 53% of senders set it on a domain. Very few who deploy SPF filters reject out right on failure, which tells you how useful it is at it's own job.

DKIM sensibly moves this to authenticity of originating server. I think even fewer people filter using DKIM.

However once all email can establish it's senders identity, you still have to decide if this is a sender whose email you want. If your default answer to that question is yes, you'll still get spam.