[LUG] SPAM ...

Thought I'd try out NoListing on one of my email servers today, (the one that handles my own drogon.net email!) so setup a new IP address and used a firewall rule to make sure all email connections to it would be rejected. Decided to log it too.

So in the past 6 hours, there have been 5872 connections to the IP address from 1323 unique IP address. Of these unique IP addresses, just over 100 made a 2nd attempt to connect into the mail server that was the lower priority MX record. (Which then does Greylisting and Spam Assassin in that order).

I suspect that if a spammer gets through the NoListing, it'll get through the GreyListing too, but in any case, GreyListing (& SA) require CPU & disk resources while NoListing doesn't.

So-far so good, and I'm applying it to all my customers who I hold DNS zone files for, who already use my GreyListing systems.

Looking at the list of unique IP addresses (sorted) - it's easy to see blocks of them from the same ISP...

It's going to be a bit of a disaster when the spammers cotton onto NoListing and Greylisting, but GL has held out for a few years now.. Lets hope it holds up for a few more...

Gordon