Re: [LUG] Why don't they learn

T Brownen wrote:
Dear James
Many thanks for your input, I am pleased that you can make a living from fixing Unix based malware. I to have heard it happens but I have yet to find it happens to me or anyone I know, I totally agree to be complacent is looking for trouble.
What should we look for, what protection should we use.
Please help us all and divulge your secrets, then maybe we can have a hack prove Linux

In a (probably vain) attempt to turn this thread into something actually
useful, let's take an example...

There was a Linux kernel issue discovered in the early part of 2009 that
allowed anyone with access to a server to obtain root privileges where
the kernel supported modules and had a fairly common set of modules
available on the system.  This was an issue in all 2.6 kernels, and,
IIRC, all 2.4 kernels as well.

Anyone able to get any kind of shell access to such a server could
compromise it and gain root access.  The usual vector for such attacks
is insecure web applications, often those written in PHP because they
can be very widely deployed, though there are plenty of scanners running
dictionary-based password attacks against ssh, or against POP3/IMAP
in the hope that email accounts will be using user account details on
the same machine.

Once allowed access to a shell the hacker gained root privileges and
installed all sorts of back doors and hacks so that even should the
compromise be discovered or closed, they'd still have access to the
server.

At the time I was involved in recovering at least one server a day
compromised in this way for a week, whilst hearing about many more that
had been hacked in the same way and from past experience I know that
far more people actually get hacked than admit the fact to anyone else.

So the point is, if you run any server, you keep on top of OS updates,
you set up the firewall and whatever other security measures you can,
you track any third party software you have installed for updates to
that, and you install systems for monitoring what's going on with your
servers so you notice if something untoward is happening.

And, at the risk of self-promotion which I really don't want to stray
into as there are plenty of other competent people on the list, if as a
commercial organisation you can't do it yourself, *pay someone else to
do it*, because what they charge will be peanuts compared with what you
stand to lose if you don't really know what you're doing.

Here endeth the sermon.

James