[LUG] mod_rewrite weirdness

Mod_rewrite is working and rewriting some urls and I want to add
another rule but I can't for the life of me figure out where apache is
reading the rules from.

This is on a desktop machine which is shut down every day. The
'website' is just for my use and I will eventually use wget to turn it
all into static html.

an example url is:
http://localhost/risingmains/php/fileonly/data.html which is rewritten
to http://localhost/risingmains/php/fileonly.php

in /var/www there is a .htaccess containing a single "AddType
application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig .pac"
in /var/www/risingmains (which is a symlink to
~/public_html/risingmains) there is no .htaccess file
in /var/www/risingmains/php is where I wrote the .htaccess file with
the original rule before christmas.

I'm finding that any edits to the last one are completely ignored.
apache and the computer have been restarted many times since the rule
was first written so I don't see that caching in ram can be to blame.
I have tried moving the file to ~/ (before christmas) and renaming it
to this.is.not.a.ht.access.file (restarting apache afterwards) and in
both cases the urls are being rewritten as before.  I have tried
putting it back in /var/www/risingmains/php and my changes are being
ignored even after restarting apache.

The original .htaccess file is:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /risingmains/php/

RewriteRule     ^fileonly/(.*).html$  fileonly.php?drawingsdir=$1

And I believe that this reflects what apache is actually doing

The rule i want to add is:
RewriteRule     ^preview/(.*).html$  previewfile.php

and when i visit http://localhost/risingmains/php/preview/bob.html I get a 404.
(yes previewfile.php does exist)

I've also looked in:
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf
/etc/apache2/http.conf
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

and there are no rewrite rules in any of them

So the questions in my mind are:
1/ why is it working at all?
2/ since it's working, where is it keeping the rules?
3/ how do I make it use my .htaccess file again?