Re: [LUG] Why don't they learn

I almost don't know why I'm replying to this...

T Brownen wrote:

The simple answer is dump Windows
Install any Unix derivative
No Anti virus needed
No firewall needed
Or if you feel it is necessary they are all for free
Ps this site works well on Linux and the folk that propagate viruses YES 3 to 4 percent of you do with out knowing it are the ones the perps just love.. Linux users never worry about viruses malware or any other nasty. Windows user spend time getting rid of them.
The UNIX based system is faster and more secure.

And that is why I've spent a fair amount of my time over the last ten
years cleaning up and/or recovering Linux systems that have been hacked
every which way.

Sensible Linux users *do* worry about viruses, malware and "other
nasties".  As someone who makes a living looking after other people's
UNIX/Linux/etc. servers, I spend a lot of time worrying about that sort
of thing and trying to make sure it can't happen.

Linux probably has some advantages over Windows from the point of view
that there are fewer machines installed, making it a less interesting
target in the first place, though in a web server setting I think that's
probably debatable, the user model makes it harder to completely
compromise a machine and updates to close security issues are often made
available more quickly.  In the case of Linux and some of the BSD
derivatives, it's probably easier to harden the OS against attacks
than is possible with Windows, *if* you know how to do it.  Perhaps in
the general case Linux servers tend to be run by people who have a
better understanding of what they're doing, though there are an awful
lot of people out there who can manage a bit of Plesk and think they're
a sysadmin.

It does not follow however that UNIX or Linux is "secure", nor even
"more secure" than Windows, nor impossible to compromise with malware,
viruses or other attacks.  It happens a lot.  All the time.  And anyone
who believes otherwise is, frankly, not living on the same planet.

Why don't they learn, indeed.

James