Re: [LUG] Best place to buy netbook when leaving the country

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Henry Bremridge wrote:

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:08:16AM +0100, Dan Lewis wrote:
2nd class rugby... grumble.... grumble.... mutter....mutter
I have been to Singapore and Hong kong and LA and i have NEVER bought any
piece of tech duty free and when i weant exploring in Singapore and found
this famous techi mall full of tvs, pcs etc (it was 9 floors) i looked at
the prices thinking i could get a bargain and they cost more then in the uk
and on top of that the sales guys all talk shit so no thats a waste of time
- hence why i was curious how it worked when leaving the UK.

Dan

You forgot one more grumble:

 You buy the damn equipment overseas and then when it breaks you find
 that the guarantee is only valid overseas.

Indeed...

And one thing I found in some places, was that they'd open the boxes and sell everything individually - so you look at (e.g.) a camera and it looked cheap, but then you wanted the batteries, charger, USB leads, etc, etc, and before you knew it, it was more expensive than the UK...

You probably won't see this in "duty free" shops in airports, but I've seen it in shops in Tenerife aimed directly at tourists...

Gordon