Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

Terry Hill wrote:

    Well, I compile my own kernels... Don't think it's that hard...
    However I use Lilo (and extlinux) which I suspect no-one else in
    the group uses, so me giving a "howto" talk on it might not be the
    best thing unless I learn that grubby thing that everyone else
    uses ...

    And curiously enough my first degree choice was electrical &
    electronic engineering before I was seduced by computing...
    Electronics was my hobby as a teenager, and I still have boxes and
    "stuff" lying about. I built up a few little microprocessor
    systems over the years too including an in-car computer to
    calculate MPG which I hooked up to a ... Hillman Imp... All
    written in 6502 assembler......

    These days, the best I have is a steamer trunk of Lego Mindstorms
    and Technic kit ... Robotics is my real calling - I studied &
    worked in a uny engineering and robotics lab for 5 years after my
    course...

    So one of the things we talked about yesterday was alternative
    meeting places to hold a seminar or talk, etc. but the biggest
    challenge is actually having someone stand up and say "I'll do
    it", then actually doing it!

    Cost is an issue for some, and some venues cost money - it's not a
    good idea to actually hold a themed meeting in a cafe for example,
    so we need to find a venue.

    If we're stuck, and want cheap, then my house is usable - dining
    room will hold 8 and living room a few more - I've flip-charts &
    whiteboards and can probably get a projector - we jsut need
    someone to actually stand up and say: "I'll do it" ...

Where abouts are you Gordon? Perhaps those interested could hop over for an informal meet to discuss the idea? I can bring cake :)

5 years in robotics! Sounds like you're currently the "jedi" in here :) I'm still feeling my way around - I've cooked a few components, created loud and annoying feedback noises through my "bench" amp, and spent hours making my ears bleed while trying to get my head around the maths. I usually end up shoving some components into a breadboard and watching what happens.

I do like the idea of themed meetings. Themes that spring to mind (in no particular order):

Power supplies.
Op amps.
Oscillators.
Analog circuits.
Sensors.
Robotics.
DIY bench gear.
Circuit bending.
Digital interfacing.
Amplifiers.
Linux & electronics.
Perhaps build days - where we develop some kind of group project.
DIY board etching.

If we know in advance what the theme is, we can bring stuff that make sense - stuff to swap, tips, tricks, rules of thumb, good books, good websites, circuit ideas etc.

Anyway, just some ideas to throw into the mix.
How about an Open Inverter?
Put together a modular design for (eventually) grid connected inverter.
I reckon it can be done for ~£150 for a controller that can control up to 16 * 1 or 1/2 kw inverters which should cost about £20 per Kva
Tom te tom te tom