Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, tom wrote:

If my Sushi Bar generator works you're looking at less than 2p per unit. When its this cheap you're silly not to.

Care to elaborate?
I posted this a while ago
http://www.100297.itsosbroadband.co.uk/inverter/Sushi%20Bar%20Generator.html
I haven't the time to build it myself - I thought I could get an old go-cart and hack that but they don't seem to make them any more and no-one I can find sells the bearings I would use. Several people have said it wont work but no-one has come up with a valid reason yet - other than they make much more expensive turbines..

Interesting. You've seen this, I presume:

  http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/04/small-windmills-test-results.html

I'm not convinced it would be any more efficient than any of those in that trial and it would seem to take up more space - eg. requiring 2 x 10m poles to get it off the ground with the associated guy-ropes, foundations, etc. required...

I know that if you strapped it between 2 chimneys where I live it'd pull them down as they're so old and crumbly...

Gordon