Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

Terry Hill wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've done a bit of searching around on the net but not turned much up as
> yet (I'm sure there's something somewhere!).
>
> I'm looking for a hacking group/club to join.  I mean hacking in it's
> original meaning - people who like to play with electronics to make new
> things out of old things, improve on the fuctionality of everyday
> electronic/electrical items etc.  There are a few groups dotted around
> the UK, but I've found nothing for the south west, let alone in North
> Devon.  If there *is* nothing in the area, it seems like a likely place
> to find those of a similar mind in here, perhaps some of you might be
> interested in meeting up once in a while, clutching arduinos / pic chips
> or whatever to make robotic things / synthesisers / radio controlled
> whatevers.  Personally, I've just completed an arduino based polyphonic
> keyboard controller with some shift registers and a few microswitches,
> and I'm now playing with VCO's to try to give it a voice.  I'm a real
> beginner, but I've been bitten quite hard - having played with computers
> for years it feels quite natural to start learning more about low level
> hardware.
>
> If anyone knows of an already active group that meets up to show-n-tell
> / swap electonics / run workshops etc, please let me know.
>
> If anyone would be interested in starting / joining such a group, let me
> know too ;)
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Tel.

I am sure that kind of fits that bill in a way,  so feel free to post
here, and ask questions, on hardware hacking, i am sure we have all done
that, or even clever software hacks using perl or other language,

I think you need to modify a view of hacking to also include people who
say compile their own custom kernel, or even write kernel patches, but
the hacking in the sense you are talking about is reflected in free
software,  you can mod things to do what you want.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009