Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

I think you need to modify a view of hacking to also include people who say compile their own custom kernel, or even write kernel patches, but the hacking in the sense you are talking about is reflected in free software, you can mod things to do what you want.

Well, I compile my own kernels... Don't think it's that hard... However I use Lilo (and extlinux) which I suspect no-one else in the group uses, so me giving a "howto" talk on it might not be the best thing unless I learn that grubby thing that everyone else uses ...

And curiously enough my first degree choice was electrical & electronic engineering before I was seduced by computing... Electronics was my hobby as a teenager, and I still have boxes and "stuff" lying about. I built up a few little microprocessor systems over the years too including an in-car computer to calculate MPG which I hooked up to a ... Hillman Imp... All written in 6502 assembler......

These days, the best I have is a steamer trunk of Lego Mindstorms and Technic kit ... Robotics is my real calling - I studied & worked in a uny engineering and robotics lab for 5 years after my course...

So one of the things we talked about yesterday was alternative meeting places to hold a seminar or talk, etc. but the biggest challenge is actually having someone stand up and say "I'll do it", then actually doing it!

Cost is an issue for some, and some venues cost money - it's not a good idea to actually hold a themed meeting in a cafe for example, so we need to find a venue.

If we're stuck, and want cheap, then my house is usable - dining room will hold 8 and living room a few more - I've flip-charts & whiteboards and can probably get a projector - we jsut need someone to actually stand up and say: "I'll do it" ...

Gordon