Re: [LUG] Own Asterisk Server

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>

>> tom wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried using VOIP with a netbook - I mean a nice low power
>>> machine not one that is designed to run Windoze?
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> I have asterisk running on a dell d600 laptop - 1.5Ghz  mobile centrino
>> with 512MB ram that has a broken screen - disconnected the screen,
>> installed and setup *  and it has been running my phones for the last 4
>> years.
>>
>> I have it connected to the PSTN via a Sipura SPA3000 and have a Linksys
>> VoIP router with 2 normal phones connected, a SIP gateway(again with a
>> couple of normal phones connected) and a couple of  SIP hard phones, all
>> connected on a dedicated VLAN - just goes to show you dont need a high
>> end 'server' to run asterisk.
>>

> Well.... Because I sell them, doing proper tests and benchmarks is
> something I've done a lot of...
>
> A 500Mhz Geode system sucking a massive 5 watts can handle 85 concurrent
> VoIP calls at a rate of 10 a second, and still have processing power left
> over to run the web/apache/php GUI thing..... (And it does it in what's
> effectively 128 MB of RAM too)
>
> Your 1.5 GHz laptop ought to be able to do about 250 concurrent calls (My
> 1GHz VIAs stop at about 200). The limit becomes kernel efficiency in terms
> of context switching and it's ability to handle data to/from external
> sources via the PCI bus. (Each VoIP channel runs at 50 packets per second
> each way - those pps soon mount up!)
>
> Hm. I have an old old laptop that runs at 200Mhz - one day when I'm bored
> I might just run asterisk up on it. Oddly enough it too has a broken
> screen!
>
> Gordon

Cheers for the info Gordon, I have never needed to load it with anywhere
near 250 concurrent calls but it has happily handled several calls ( I
also use Voipgate and tesco internetphone - both IAX )
I have a few 200 Mhz geode based thin clients (neoware capio 508's) -
they only have 64 MB of ram but I might see if I can whack some more in
and see how asterisk runs on them

Dave