Re: [LUG] Own Asterisk Server

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

> tom wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using VOIP with a netbook - I mean a nice low power
>> machine not one that is designed to run Windoze?
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> I have asterisk running on a dell d600 laptop - 1.5Ghz  mobile centrino
> with 512MB ram that has a broken screen - disconnected the screen,
> installed and setup *  and it has been running my phones for the last 4
> years.
>
> I have it connected to the PSTN via a Sipura SPA3000 and have a Linksys
> VoIP router with 2 normal phones connected, a SIP gateway(again with a
> couple of normal phones connected) and a couple of  SIP hard phones, all
> connected on a dedicated VLAN - just goes to show you dont need a high
> end 'server' to run asterisk.

Well.... Because I sell them, doing proper tests and benchmarks is
something I've done a lot of...

A 500Mhz Geode system sucking a massive 5 watts can handle 85 concurrent
VoIP calls at a rate of 10 a second, and still have processing power left
over to run the web/apache/php GUI thing..... (And it does it in what's
effectively 128 MB of RAM too)

Your 1.5 GHz laptop ought to be able to do about 250 concurrent calls (My
1GHz VIAs stop at about 200). The limit becomes kernel efficiency in terms
of context switching and it's ability to handle data to/from external
sources via the PCI bus. (Each VoIP channel runs at 50 packets per second
each way - those pps soon mount up!)

Hm. I have an old old laptop that runs at 200Mhz - one day when I'm bored
I might just run asterisk up on it. Oddly enough it too has a broken
screen!

Gordon