Re: [LUG] Gates Puts Feynman Lectures Online

Steven Côté wrote:

>     what does .net allow me to do, run applications within a browser,  i
>
>     never really understood all of this, I am not a programmer.
>

> Well, I am a programmer and I fail to understand it as well, so don't
> feel bad.
>
> I had a chance to sit down with a friend of min the other week and he
> tried to explain to me why .net was awesome and he failed to come up
> with a single technical reason that could not be met using existing
> technology.
>
> I use the caveat word 'technical' because there are good business
> reasons. I use the caveat word 'good' because those reasons usually
> sound something like "everyone else uses .net, so now we have to as well."

LOL just like, everyone uses Windows so we must use it too. :-)

I used to enjoy programming in Visual Basic (and before that Quick Basic
and GWBasic, and before that Locomotive Basic on the Amstrad CPC).
Granted I'm not a great programmer, I can write applications usually to
do what I want but I know I have a few bad habits when it comes to
writing code.

Now I dabbled with Visual Basic.NET a couple of years back basically
because Microsoft were giving away a version for free (plus Visual
C#.Net etc) but I couldn't get on with it.  I did try and persevere with
it but the help was awful and I ended up just getting cheesed off with
it.  I still have a copy of Visual Basic 3 Standard with the rather good
manuals somewhere but alas I can't write 32-Bit (or 64-Bit) applications
on it. :-(

I'm looking at learning another programming language now.  I'm very
reluctant to learn *.NET, I think now I'd rather learn C or Assembler
(maybe 68k Assembler) instead (just as something to do, I do realise
that 68k Assembler is probably not much use now unless I'm writing
homebrew software for the ST or Amiga).

Rob