Re: [LUG] Gates Puts Feynman Lectures Online

tom wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> 2009/7/16 tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> I cant understand this - the BBC had the rights and sold them to Gates
>>> and now we have to install silverlight to watch them?
>>>
>> Moonlight (the open source implementation of Silverlight) may be able
>> to view this. I haven't tried myself, but will do when I'm not on 3g.
>>
>> http://mono-project.com/Moonlight
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>

> The trouble with that is moonlight is still 'not free'.
> What is annoying is that BG has bought something we should have for free
> from the BBC and now we have to poison our machines with his software to
> watch something that should not be in that format - and he's being
> hailed as some kind of philanthropist for his actions!
> Tom te tom te tom

For the benefit of people who have no idea what the feynman lectures are
there is the wiki pedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics

I would suggest we complain to the Office of fair trading, or someone
clearly this is desgined to get people to buy and use windows. and give
yet another reason to avoid Linux because people can't access material ,
 perhaps someone can write a quick article on the above to explain in
plain english the issues involved and why people should freely due to
propriatory software/

I don't understandf what silverlight or moonlight is,  some sort of plug
in like flash i am guessing.

Its also another reason why WE NEED TO find a decent venue to give
talks,  on free software, and we can give this as an example of the
disadvantage of not using free software,   now that these are in the
propriatory format,  how long will they last on line,  will we still be
able to access them in 10 years time, when the net will probably look
different,   how much will it cost to do this, in 10 years.  If they are
in ogg format,  or the video version of ogg or whatever they will be
freely accessable for years to come.

Software freedom day is 19th September.

As a group we need to get more pro-active to promote freedom,  we don't
need to promote Linux lets concentrate on freedom first, (as at least we
can agree on that,  rather than looking fragmented while we argue over
what distro to use) using the above examples,  then show people
alternatives to Windows.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org