Re: [LUG] Gates Puts Feynman Lectures Online

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 05:14:40PM +0100, Steven Côté wrote:

> > what does .net allow me to do, run applications within a browser,  i
> >
> > never really understood all of this, I am not a programmer.
>
> Well, I am a programmer and I fail to understand it as well, so don't feel
> bad.

It’s nothing to do with running stuff in a browser (though there’s no
reason it can’t be used for that).

It’s basically a virtual machine, like Java’s, and languages to run on
it. There are a few different languages that run on it — C#, VB.NET,
etc., as well as Java and Python compilers for it.

Of course, there are several different languages that run on the Java
VM, too (Scala and Groovy come to mind), and Java and the Java VM don’t
have the same patent issues attached.

> I had a chance to sit down with a friend of min the other week and he tried
> to explain to me why .net was awesome and he failed to come up with a single
> technical reason that could not be met using existing technology.

i.e. Java? Notice how Sun and MS were involved in a lawsuit over Java,
and then MS came out with a suspiciously similar platform of their own.
I don’t know of any reason to use .NET over Java, and I don’t even like
Java.

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7