Re: [LUG] Gates Puts Feynman Lectures Online

Paul Sutton wrote:

> tom wrote:
>
>> Alan Pope wrote:

>>> Moonlight (the open source implementation of Silverlight) may be able
>>> to view this. I haven't tried myself, but will do when I'm not on 3g.
>>>
>>> http://mono-project.com/Moonlight
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Al.
>>>

>> The trouble with that is moonlight is still 'not free'.
>> What is annoying is that BG has bought something we should have for free
>> from the BBC and now we have to poison our machines with his software to
>> watch something that should not be in that format - and he's being
>> hailed as some kind of philanthropist for his actions!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> For the benefit of people who have no idea what the feynman lectures are
> there is the wiki pedia article
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics
>
> I would suggest we complain to the Office of fair trading, or someone
> clearly this is desgined to get people to buy and use windows. and give
> yet another reason to avoid Linux because people can't access material ,
>  perhaps someone can write a quick article on the above to explain in
> plain english the issues involved and why people should freely due to
> propriatory software/
>
> I don't understandf what silverlight or moonlight is,  some sort of plug
> in like flash i am guessing.

It bigger than that - its the .NET for browsers. Best bit of software
ever written alas 'owned' by MS. And only needed cos MS/Adobe and now
Apple have crippled HTML and JS as much as they can.
> Its also another reason why WE NEED TO find a decent venue to give
> talks,  on free software, and we can give this as an example of the
> disadvantage of not using free software,   now that these are in the
> propriatory format,  how long will they last on line,  will we still be
> able to access them in 10 years time, when the net will probably look
> different,   how much will it cost to do this, in 10 years.  If they are
> in ogg format,  or the video version of ogg or whatever they will be

Wonder if moonlight can convert it to OGG - if BG was doing this for the
reasons he said he was he wouldnt mind...
Tom te tom te tom