Re: [LUG] What does the GPL mean to you?

Neil Williams wrote:

> Remember: by choosing a web based interface, you may gain in
> development time compared to writing a new UI in Glade or Gtk+ but you
> lose massively post release because there are so many people intent on
> *not* using your application, just trying to break it to gain access to
> the system running your application.

This assumes that a web interface is accessible remotely.

Whilst this is often true because it is easy to do it isn't universal.
Many of those I use that are accessible remotely, are further restricted
by Apache authentication in the top level of the webserver. So unless
you have a valid username and password for the server you just get a
login box. Of course then you have to have some sort of lockout to
prevent password guessing in Apache, but that is easy to do.

For things like accounting, unless it is a one user system, something is
listening on the network - often a database.