Re: [LUG] What does the GPL mean to you?

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 10:05 +0100, Dave wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Here’s a possibly controversial question – What does the GPL mean to
> you?
>

> Does it mean I can simply take any program released under the GPL
> (e.g. AmroK) and shape it to my tastes accordingly using the Source
> Code and then (of course) release my copy under the GPL (and possibly
> send the patches back to the original author to do with as he/she
> wishes).

to Someone (like me ) more a of a  user.... it means I can use an
application and "tune it" for my situation ie I can see inside the
"Black box", by feeding back to the Developers or adjusting it myself.
Rather than in a recent post, rely on or even pay for, support on an App
which is obviously not really suited for my situation.

> Or does it mean if I am writing my own Application and see something
> in another GPL’d program I like I can take the code and utilise the
> ideas in it for my own application? - Assuming I then release my
> application (as I would) under the GPL also does this make me legal,
> decent, honest and truthful or does it make me a plagiariser along the
> lines of MS Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish?
I have my small business accounting system written in php which I would
love to give to the world but I feel it is not up to scratch standards
wise ( needs css-ing and form validation etc..) and once released a
"real" programmer could do just what the last line says "MS Embrace,
Extend, and Extinguish"

> I did post this question (in this way) to the FOSS people but got a
> very woolly response of ‘it all depends on the licence’ with no real
> explanation so I would be grateful for people’s view on this.
>

> Regards,
> Dave.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386