[LUG] What does the GPL mean to you?

Hi all,

Here’s a possibly controversial question – What does the GPL mean to you?

Does it mean I can simply take any program released under the GPL (e.g. AmroK) and shape it to my tastes accordingly using the Source Code and then (of course) release my copy under the GPL (and possibly send the patches back to the original author to do with as he/she wishes).

Or does it mean if I am writing my own Application and see something in another GPL’d program I like I can take the code and utilise the ideas in it for my own application? - Assuming I then release my application (as I would) under the GPL also does this make me legal, decent, honest and truthful or does it make me a plagiariser along the lines of MS Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish?

I did post this question (in this way) to the FOSS people but got a very woolly response of ‘it all depends on the licence’ with no real explanation so I would be grateful for people’s view on this.

Regards,
Dave.