Re: [LUG] SMTP 451 error

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 00:22:30 +0100
John Horne wrote:

> I'm jumping right in the middle here, so I have no idea what the
> original posting said. However, have you tried running exim with
> debugging cranked right up, and using a different port (so that it
> doesn't interfere with your normal mail)? I tend to use something
> like:
>
>    exim -bd -oX 26 -d"+all" >/tmp/ex.file 2>&1
>
> from one terminal session, then telnet in from a separate session
> using:
>
>    telnet ... 26
>
> and then enter your SMTP commands. When you get the 451 error issue a
> QUIT, then control-c the first session and look in the /tmp/ex.file.
> There will be lots of info in there, but you should be able to
> locate your 451 message, and see why it is occurring. (If you have a
> local firewall, or exim running though TCP wrappers, make sure port
> 26 is available.)
>
> John.

Aah, it's good to be back!

Thank you John.  I stopped the exim service on the server and ran the
command as instructed, telnetted to localhost on 26 on the server and it
worked nicely.  Ran exim again as above but on :25, telnetted to
localhost on 25 on the server... and it worked nicely.  I
re-established the SSH tunnel from the laptop to the server and tried
telnetting localhost:25 on the laptop... and it failed.

It turns out that Exim had been re-enabled on the laptop and was
listening on 25, and that was preventing me from binding localhost:25
to the SSH tunnel that spat it out at the server.

So, it wasn't actually my server that was playing up at all.

All resolved now.  *phew*

Thank you. :)

Grant.