Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Google to launch operating system]

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 04:46:25PM +0100, tom wrote:
>
>> Most of the apps that this OS is going to come with are apps that are
>> there to do the things that JS/XHTML/JSON/XML/SVG/CSS could have done
>> easily if allowed.
>>

> No, they’re not, because the OS isn’t going to come with any apps. As
> they mention in their announcement, it’s going to be entirely web-based,
> and their platform is going to be entirely based on web standards.

Sorry - most of the components XUL etc are there because people screwed
with the standards to prevent them doing what they should have done. XUL
is basic (X)HTML/CSS/JS .
When FrameSets were conceived one of the first things I did was to use
an invisible frame to handle asynchronous calls to the server to update
things on the main window(s). It was part of the concept behind the
concept. MS messed about with things and we're still waiting for
WEB2.... And yet VisualStudio is practically built on the concept- its a
bloody web browser doing thing MS tells the standards people web
browsers should not do.
Adobe (and now Apple F'em) screw with JS/HTML development and prevent
video being included in the browser standard - partly by saying a
browser cant do what flash IN MY BROWSER patently can do.
Chrome OS is a nigh on 20 year old concept - there is nothing new in it
- we could have done this all many years ago but a HUGE amount of effort
has gone in to keeping the web browser in the 20thC.
Tom te tom te tom