[LUG] OT Windows issues

Hi

I know this is not the right place for this but I guessed someone here
can help.  so I apologise in advance for asking a windows question.

I was trying to fix a Windows XP box today that had 2 issues.

The first was that IE would not open,  and flashed with an error message
box for such a short time (something about runtime) I didn't get a
chance to even read it,  I tried to use print-screen to take a screen
shot - with the idea of pasting this in to a graphics package or other
application for easy reading,  This failed,  as it didn't copy anything
to the clip board.

In ubuntu pressing print-screen simply gives me a nice dialog box,
which then allows me to save a picture of the screen,  very handy for
just such issues.

The second issue was that I had a copy of the open cd with me, so
thought about installing firefox,  i insert the cd and it comes up on
the desktop with the usual cd icon,  labelled the opendisc, upon opening
however it comes up with a list of files waiting to be written to cd.
and not what is on thecd,  granted i only wrote the cd last night (tues)
however if it was corrupt surely i would get an error to that effect (or
is that asking too much from Micro****)

Oddly inserting a dvd with big buck bunny on it works fine and it plays,
  however.

I eventually managed to get chrome working as it was already installed,
so for the moment this is the default browser, so when the owner of the
computer goes to hot mail via msn she can check mail ok.

Annoyingly it seems that outlook express and hotmail no longer work
together, so hotmail ahs to be accessed via the web interface if you are
using free hotmail accounts.  (money grabbing gits eh)

Just wondered if anyone had come across anything similar and can make a
sensible suggestion as to a fix or what exactly is going on.

Going back to Windows XP felt odd,  and makes me realise how even ubuntu
puts some of this crap to shame, ok under linux things fail,  but at
least when it does its consistant. :)

thanks for any help.

Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org