Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Google to launch operating system]

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 02:51:37PM +0100, tom wrote:
>
>> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

>>> They’re actually not. “Google Chrome OS” is a windowing system on top of
>>> the Linux kernel, designed to run nothing but Google Chrome. There will
>>> be no applications but web applications.
>>>
>>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
>>>
>>> Yet another way to lock people into proprietary services.
>>>
>> Just about everything its built on is gpl! I personally thing its a bit
>> of a dogs dinner - most of the technologies involved are there because
>> MS screwed up current web browser implementations of the same and people
>> don't realise they're using new technologies to do old things!
>>

> Where’s the source code for Google Mail? Where’s the source code for
> Facebook? The point of Google Chrome OS is to get people to use no
> applications but web applications. Web applications should be free too.

I'm not sure I'd want the code for Google Mail - or facebook come to that.
That kind of web application will never be free and I will never want
it. I use yahoo mail because I'm too lazy to configure my own online
mail from home but the 'someone else in control' makes them not-wanted
systems for me.
Tom te tom te tom