Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Google to launch operating system]

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:18:30PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> 'Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers,
>> in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows
>> system.  Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at small, low-cost
>> netbooks, but will eventually be used on PCs as well.'

>> It'll need to look enough like Windows for users to accept it,
>> whatever's under the bonnet.
>>

> They’re actually not. “Google Chrome OS” is a windowing system on top of
> the Linux kernel, designed to run nothing but Google Chrome. There will
> be no applications but web applications.
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
>
> Yet another way to lock people into proprietary services.
Just about everything its built on is gpl! I personally thing its a bit
of a dogs dinner - most of the technologies involved are there because
MS screwed up current web browser implementations of the same and people
don't realise they're using new technologies to do old things!
Tom te tom te tom