Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Google to launch operating system]

Richard Brown wrote:

> I think there are quite a few free apps to do what want - depends on
> what you want. I did a quick Google search on "online image editor"
> and came up with sumo paint. Looks ok to me.
>
> <http://www.sumopaint.com/web/>
>
> I'm fairly sure that without too much effort we could find free apps
> to do most stuff.

Sumopaint appears to be proprietary, so is not free in the way Ben means.

But I think a key point is that I haven't seen functional general
purposes storage for browsers (I know there is some permanent storage
arriving in browsers right now..), but without this the concept of a web
application wasn't going to catch on.

Sure you could use the URL of everything to link to everything else, but
you don't want to do that. You want to design your logo in tool X, and
make a copy of it in your website design tool. But if it is all in a
cloud you'll have to keep your graphic tool service working till you can
upload the image to the web site design service.

There are also inherent limitations in what browsers and servers have
allowed (by the standards). The pain we have with uploading images to a
website at work is a clear case in point, how hard should uploading a
image be?

It still isn't clear to me what Google are proposing, and it I'm betting
the default mail client is Gmail, and we've already discussed it's
shortcomings here not so long ago.....

That said Google are right about things like start-up time, modern
computers suck at so many things they should be good at. But given how
lousy Google Chrome is still, I wouldn't bet anything on the success of
a Google OS just yet.