Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 02:49:01PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 18:14 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> >

> >> Whilst it may be wasteful, overuse of attachments is almost invariably
> >> the cause of email bloat, which itself is usually a sign of a lack of
> >> document managed tools and processes.
> >>
> > Yes - their intranet is appalling and largely ignored. My wife has
> > argued for documents to be available there.
> > James
> >
> IIRC attachments take up 30-50% more space than the original document.

Well, they’ll be base64-encoded most of the time, which apparently takes
about 37% more space.

> Even small ones would cause issues then because they will use the HD
> clusters much less efficiently than larger files - which to be fair
> should be detached as well anyway.

Not necessarily; depends on the filesystem (for a start, it’s possible
to optimise filesystems for lots of small files, as might be the case on
a mailserver; also more recent filesystems are more efficient at packing
smaller files, I believe).

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7