Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Brown Richard wrote:

> That is exactly where it is hosted. In the new business park recently
> built there. They are building a datacentre with 32Mbit of bandwidth
> with 100Mbit coming in the next 6 months or so. To be honest I'm just
> happy there is a start - a datacentre in Cornwall. I believe the next
> public one is in Bristol (apart from one possibly in Exeter university).

Exeter.

http://www.swisp.co.uk/data.php

Nothing to do with the uny. They've been there for years. I used them as
an ISP some 6/7 years ago. Won't personally use them again though.

There's been talk of building a data centre in Devon for years now, but
nothings really happened, yet. Costs a lot of money to do it properly
though. I'm guessing Macace are extending their existing London +
Manchester sites to where they live ;-)

The hardest part about building a data centre in a rural location is
assuring diverse routing of connections into the centre. Having setup such
facilities in the past myself, it's not always an easy thing to guarantee.
(And BT have been known to be liberal with the truth in the past too, but
then Telewest were no better at the time!)

If you want to do it, then there is plenty of dark fibre in the SW (in
addition to buying from BT) - if you know who to ask for it! I had a 10Mb
line from SWISP to my POP in Sowton, then 3 x 10Mb lines to Marldon,
Cambourne and Lands end.. This was 6 years ago although I'd guess the
operators are still going (Western Power!)

Anyway - enough for now - too long a day. Sheffield & back from
Buckfastleigh. Most of my own servers are in Sheffield in a nice little
data centre up there.  It's a bit far, but they've not let me down in over
6 years. I ued to courrier servers there & back until one day UPS decided
to put one through a shredder )-:

Gordon