Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I hope everybody is enjoying our summer at last. Just a quickie. I
> want to point a domain name to an ip address and start to host a web
> site. This will be the first of several sites hosted. What is involved
> in building a domain name server please and is it better to simply
> rent some space to do this task please? If so, have you a
> recommendation?
>
> The other question relates to the server itself. Is it possible to
> test how secure it is please? The server is at ip address:
> <87.127.140.184>

You should be able to go to GRC.com and test the IP address from there
using Shield's Up.  It will give you an indication of what ports are
accessable from the outside world.

With regards to building a DNS server, is this for internal use say on
an internal network or for internet use?

If it's for use on the Internet then I'd say you're probably better
going to a professional hosting company, register a domain and have them
point the DNS record to the IP address of the server.  From experience
DNS seems to be rather complicated and easy to screw up if you don't
know what you're doing.  The only DNS I have really played with is on
internal networks.

By the way, is the server co-located at a hosting company/ISP etc or is
it a standard broadband connection?

Ta,

Rob