Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Hi Rob

On 2 Jun 2009, at 09:25, Rob Beard wrote:

> Brown Richard wrote:
>>
>> I hope everybody is enjoying our summer at last. Just a quickie. I
>> want to point a domain name to an ip address and start to host a web
>> site. This will be the first of several sites hosted. What is
>> involved
>> in building a domain name server please and is it better to simply
>> rent some space to do this task please? If so, have you a
>> recommendation?
>>
> You should be able to go to GRC.com and test the IP address from there
> using Shield's Up.  It will give you an indication of what ports are
> accessable from the outside world.
>
> With regards to building a DNS server, is this for internal use say on
> an internal network or for internet use?
>
> If it's for use on the Internet then I'd say you're probably better
> going to a professional hosting company, register a domain and have
> them
> point the DNS record to the IP address of the server.  From experience
> DNS seems to be rather complicated and easy to screw up if you don't
> know what you're doing.  The only DNS I have really played with is on
> internal networks.
>
> By the way, is the server co-located at a hosting company/ISP etc or
> is
> it a standard broadband connection?

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at using shield's up thanks.
And thanks for the advice. I think I will continue to use a hosting
company to do the dns job for me. The server is co-located in Bodmin.
Yes we now have a data centre in Bodmin! They are still negotiating on
line speeds and will up the connection rates within the next six months.
--
Kind regards
Rich