Re: [LUG] Im moving back to windows

Keith Abraham wrote:
> I'm getting really fed up with this sort of rubbish! What has this
> got to do with Linux? This is not an OS fault it's a manufacturer's
> fault for not supplying an decent driver installer.
Or even the appropriate documentation to enable someone to
write one.

> How can it be Linux's fault if the peripheral manufacturer doesn't
>  supply a Linux driver installer of equal quality to the one they
> supply for Windows?
It might make more sense if Windows drivers were supplied by
Microsoft.

> Max Siegieda wrote:
>> My 2 pence (correct phrase?) on this issue is as follows. I once
>> had an install of debian, it wasn't the easiest thing to use but
>>  I managed. Since I am a gamer by heart, I wanted to install a
>> Nvidia driver so that I could use my graphics card to full gaming
>> effect, and the following happened: had to download package had
>> to run setup script had to modify Xorg to get it to use the new
>> driver (these were Nvidia's own instructions)
>
> So tell Nvidia you won't be buying their products if they don't
> make their installation work on Linux like to does on Windows.
Things arn't always simple under Windows, especially if you get
into a situation of Windows Update and the vendor disagreeing
over what is the most appropriate driver.

>> Got through most of it ok until an error occured Could not find
>> any mention of this error anywhere on the internet (which is a
>> weird thing nowadays) gave up, restarted and found myself sat in
>> the middle of a CLI as Xorg had failed
>>
>> Now compare this to windows, where we simply download an exe, run
>> it,
>
> No! This should say "Now compare the driver installer for Windows
> with that supplied for Linux" (assuming there was one!).
It's possible to get the Windows video system in a state where
it will output something which the monitor will not display, in spite
of "plug and play". Which is not easy to fix if you don't have VNC,
remote desktop or similar on the machine. It's even possible in
Windows for the video driver to take the whole machine down.

Having a CLI available, together with a nice set of text log files,
is definitly less of a disaster.

A big problem with Windows IMHO is that it has tended to not have
a clear demarkation between "user" and "admin" activities. Even to
the point of considering this a positive rather than a negative.