Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

On Sat, 09 May 2009 05:15:10 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

> This is why I was pondering sorting our cable mess, since it has too
> many joins, cheap quality fly leads.

When (if?) go for decent quality cable, not the 20p a mile stuff that
you get with your £1000 TV.  It pays dividends.  I changed all our leads
here (only a few, thankfully) and it improved our viewing no end.  With
the old cheap cables, digital picture would just disappear for a second
or two, then return, in poor weather.

> The Digital providers claim most of the interference is picked up in
> the antenna leads. I'm guessing any point where the shielding doesn't
> work properly.

A reasonable assumption.

> Till we get completely switched to Digital in an area probably not
> worth worrying about, as the increased broadcast power after switch
> over may resolve the issue sufficiently.

I keep forgetting that power will be upped at switch over.

> But ultimately Digital TV will give a worse picture quality (if you had
> an excellent picture before). It also will result in increased

Currently, a digital picture here is better than the analogue one, which
seems a lot worse than it was four years ago.  That might be because the
analogue signal is now transmitted at a reduced power, or it might be
that I never noticed how bad it was.

> electricity consumption decoding all those digital signals. The upside

Only if you're actually decoding them.  If the box isn't in use (in a
room not commonly used say) just turn it off at the wall.  It can't use
any power then.  What is bloody annoying is that the pass-through on our
box only works with power available to the box.  So, not a real
pass-through, then.   :-(

> if you get more channels. It is a broadcast technology, driven by the
> broadcasters, I suspect if the viewers had the downsides explained to
> them early on they would have said "why bother?".

I've always thought that.  Yes, we get more channels, but the number of
programs doesn't really increase.  And what jam there is, gets spread a
lot thinner, meaning the quality of each program tends to decline.

> I think I'm getting interference between my remote controls in the
> infra-red as well - sigh - fortunately the remote control settings are
> programmable to address this.

It's farcical.  It'd be funny if it weren't so damned annoying.

--
 Regards  _

He looked the wrong way at a policeman
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs