Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

Julian Hall wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Nah I don't think this would affect it.  I mean terrestrial TV is one
>> way, it's sent out and the aerials lock on to the signal and decode it.
>> It's not as if there are 60 million connections to a server (or
>> servers).  I'd say it's the same for satellite too, the signal is sent
>> out and the boxes pickup the signal.
>>

> Except that no terrestrial TV is by subscription... at least I can't
> think of any.  With digital I would think the service provider has to
> keep checking that everyone watching the programme is a valid
> subscriber, or not?  Except channels that are Freeview of course, and
> there I agree with your points :)  I'd forgotten Freeview.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Topup TV, Setanta Sports.  These are both subscription services on
Terestrial TV.  They require a CAM module which with a viewing card
which is unique to each subscriber.  Usually what happens is if the
subscriber cancels their subscription or stops paying the TV provider
will send out a signal to switch off the card over the air embedded in
the TV signal (this is what Sky do too and have done since the days of
analogue satellite TV).  Unfortunately due to the insecurity of the
encryption used on the subscription terrestrial TV the cards can be
cloned, or at least they used to be cloned.

Rob