Re: [LUG] Linux in the Independent today (weds)

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:39:53 +0000
Aaron Trevena wrote:

> 2009/3/27 Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>
> > This sums up the stupidity of the article for me:
> > "I'm training to be a teacher and am on a tight budget at the
> > moment, so free software should be really attractive to me, but I'm
> > just too heavily reliant on Microsoft Office and Windows to
> > consider switching operating systems. I use Word and PowerPoint on
> > a regular basis"
> >
> > I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I bought MS Office. What a
> > prat! Sorry but I meet this to often to realise that with this
> > article and many others there is no intention to move. I offer
> > folks a copy of Open Office which works as well as or even better
> > that MS Office and certainly quicker than the current version....
> > and of course it is free - tight budget!!! I've been on tight
> > budgets!
>
> I'm not sure what exactly he could require from MS Office as a
> trainee teacher.
>
> It's not like he's going to have a load of custom macros and vb that
> he wrote himself.
>
> I'm guessing it's a case of 'Office was hard to learn, I dont want to
> go through that again'.
>
> A.

Depending on the environment he's in, he may be *required* to put all
his work on the School/College's Moodle (or Moodle-like) system.  I
imagine he'd get a few complaints if he started putting ODF documents
on there.

(And yes, I know OOo can save as MSOffice documents, but that requires
that these people actually think... which, I think we have established,
does not happen.)

Grant.