Re: [LUG] OT-DVD from USA

On 25/03/2009 06:25, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 19:18, John Hansen wrote:
>
>> My wife who went to school in Maryland has received a DVD with school
>> photos and films compiled by a friend. We have tried seeing it on our TV
>> via a DVDplayer and on my PC (Windows XP) but without any success. I see
>> Nero offers a solution at £59.99 and wonder if there is another way to run
>> the DVD. Any suggestions welcome.
>>

>> John W Hansen
>>
> Your UK/European box wont play it - Zone resrictions
> XP wont - Zone restrictions
> Zone restrictions are there so MM companies can charge UK customers twice as
> much as their american counterparts!!
> Should they exist??
> Should they exist for private media? No!
> Try your Linux Box - VLC /MediaPlayer should be able to 'get round' them.
> Tom te tom te tom

Actually the DVD was compiled by a friend so that probably rules out any
region restrictions (it'll no doubt be region 0 which will in theory
play on anything as long as the TV system is supported).  PAL and NTSC
DVDs should play on a PC regardless of what country they are in
(assuming they're not region locked commercial DVDs).  Was the DVD
created on a PC or by using a standard TV DVD recorder?  If so the disc
might not be finalised (I've had this problem getting DVDs from my dad
who recorded them on his Freeview DVD recorder).

With regards to region codes on PC drives, they usually can be changed
upto 5 times with the final change setting the drive for good, most
drives can be made region free though with a firmware upgrade.

John, do you know exactly what was used to create the DVD?  (For
instance if it was done on a PC or Mac, what software was used?).

Rob