Re: [LUG] OT-DVD from USA

Rob Beard wrote:
> Actually the DVD was compiled by a friend so that probably rules out any
> region restrictions (it'll no doubt be region 0 which will in theory
> play on anything as long as the TV system is supported).
Good point - I forgot that.
> PAL and NTSC DVDs should play on a PC regardless of what country they are in
> (assuming they're not region locked commercial DVDs).  Was the DVD
> created on a PC or by using a standard TV DVD recorder?
I'm guessing a PC as there is a mix of photos and movies mentioned.
That suggests some level of authoring going on, unless they are just
MPEGs and photos *copied* to a DVD rather than a presentation *mastered*
as a DVD?

John, are you able to tell if the DVD file structure has VIDEO_TS and/or
AUDIO_TS folders or something else?
> If so the disc
> might not be finalised (I've had this problem getting DVDs from my dad
> who recorded them on his Freeview DVD recorder).

Also another good point :)
> With regards to region codes on PC drives, they usually can be changed
> upto 5 times with the final change setting the drive for good, most
> drives can be made region free though with a firmware upgrade.

Since it's a non-commercial DVD I would suggest something like DVD
Decrypter (Windows) which will remove any region coding that might be
there and output standard DVD movie files that can be burned to a DVD.
The caveat of course is that it was created as a proper DVD to start with.

Kind regards,

Julian