Re: [LUG] Microsoft announce 6 versions of Windows 7

Rob Beard wrote:

>>> Does it?  As far as I was aware as least as far as Ubuntu is concerned,
>>> only 8.10 has support for an encrypted Private directory by default.
>>> Sure it's possible to add Truecrypt but I wouldn't go as far as saying
>>> it's easy enough for anyone to do with a couple of clicks.  Truecrypt on
>>> Windows looks to be dead easy to use though.
>>>
>> Debian has had this functionality in the default installer for years,
>> and I doubt it's the only distro that does it. Is it really only the
>> most recent version of Ubuntu that supports it?
>>
> Well the most recent version of Ubuntu asks if you'd like to create an
> encrypted Private directory.  Okay it's not full disk encryption but
> it's easy to do.  I'm on about something that is so simple that even my
> computer illiterate mum could do it.
>
> When reading the comments about Linux on The Register there are always a
> fair few Microsoft fanboys who always say that installing Linux is
> complicated, at least it's just about at the point where you could say
> installing Ubuntu is easier than installing Windows and for those who
> want more control over their installation there is Debian (which I would
> admit has far much more configurability in the installer than Ubuntu
> Alternative or Ubuntu Server) and other distros too.
>
> Rob

Well once we have a few venues sorted out and enough people from the lug
willing to give up their time, attend and talk to people we can show
people out there that Linux and OSS is easy and friendly

Windows may actually be easier, to install, use etc, we simply need to
counter any arguments,  such as

hard to use
command line driven
no software support
not compatable with microsoft
won't play games
video editing (play big buck bunny to them, )
we need specific examples to use in our counter arguments

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet : Feb 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton