Re: [LUG] Microsoft announce 6 versions of Windows 7

On 04/02/2009 11:29, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Looks like Microsoft have announced 6 versions of Windows 7...
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/04/windows_7_skus/
>>
>> I was surprised (well not that much really) to find that Windows 7 Home
>> Basic is limited to running THREE applications at once!
>>
>> It sounds like that limitation is in Windows Vista Home Basic too.  I
>> don't know what Microsoft are thinking, I mean they release a complete
>> pile of steaming bloatware and limit it to 3 applications?
>>
>> I'm going to do some digging but if this is true then it's more
>> ammunition against the Beast of Redmond.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Well we should spend less engergy bashing MS and more energy on say
> highlighting what you get with Linux based syetems
>
> for example File system encryption comes with pretty much every version,
>   so even home users can have a decent level of encryption.

Does it?  As far as I was aware as least as far as Ubuntu is concerned,
only 8.10 has support for an encrypted Private directory by default.
Sure it's possible to add Truecrypt but I wouldn't go as far as saying
it's easy enough for anyone to do with a couple of clicks.  Truecrypt on
Windows looks to be dead easy to use though.
> They are aiming at the developing countries,  and trying to steer people
> away from Linux,

Not to mention they want to stop the netbook manufacturers putting Linux
on netbooks instead of Windows.
> We need to raise our game and push Linux as a decent, viable
> alternative.   We also need to start educating people regarding open
> formats,  again see my sig, if everyone did put something like that,
> perhaps we can start convincing people regarding Open standards,

Well as we start to get more venues then hopefully this will be
possible.  But as they say actions speak louder than words, as great as
it is discussing this on the mailing list we need to get out there and
actually arrange events.  Okay a couple of us have arranged things,
others have come along to support the events which has been great but it
would be really great if we could do more in the community.  I'm going
to be speaking to Palm and Exeter FM about maybe getting something on
their web site or even something on air.  It would be great if we could
get a computer show on air but I doubt there would be enough interest
but there's a possibility we could get a computer related feature on
their web site and possibly an interview on air.  I did speak to Exeter
FM about the Exwick Community Centre and I'm hoping to get an interview
with Colin Slade later on this month about what has been going on there
and I'm also going to speak to the sales teams about getting a branded
version of the OpenDisc out into the community (even if they burn off a
limited amount of discs and get the listeners to e-mail/ring in for a disc).
> MS is still industry standard to many people.

Yep sadly that seems to be the case.  Most people think Wordprocessing =
MS Word, Spreadsheets = Excel etc.  I guess in a way it's like in the
early days of the PC they would tie in Wordprocessing with Wordperfect
and Spreadsheets with Lotus 1-2-3.
> I think i have heard of this before for developing countries, they get
> cut price windows, with this sort of limitation,  its the sort of
> arrogance, that we need microsoft to show, so they simply play in to our
> hands, developing countries want the same opportunities as the rest of
> us,  not be fobbed off with this sort of limited use software.

Yep it's sad really that these developing countries get fobbed off with
substandard software.  I guess there's only so much we can do there (for
instance things like what Tom did with the project to send LTSP kit to
Cameroon), but I'm sure it all helps.

Rob