Re: [LUG] Microsoft announce 6 versions of Windows 7

On 04/02/2009 11:59, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:48:39AM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>>> for example File system encryption comes with pretty much every version,
>>>    so even home users can have a decent level of encryption.
>>>

>> Does it?  As far as I was aware as least as far as Ubuntu is concerned,
>> only 8.10 has support for an encrypted Private directory by default.
>> Sure it's possible to add Truecrypt but I wouldn't go as far as saying
>> it's easy enough for anyone to do with a couple of clicks.  Truecrypt on
>> Windows looks to be dead easy to use though.
>>

> Debian has had this functionality in the default installer for years,
> and I doubt it's the only distro that does it. Is it really only the
> most recent version of Ubuntu that supports it?

Well the most recent version of Ubuntu asks if you'd like to create an
encrypted Private directory.  Okay it's not full disk encryption but
it's easy to do.  I'm on about something that is so simple that even my
computer illiterate mum could do it.

When reading the comments about Linux on The Register there are always a
fair few Microsoft fanboys who always say that installing Linux is
complicated, at least it's just about at the point where you could say
installing Ubuntu is easier than installing Windows and for those who
want more control over their installation there is Debian (which I would
admit has far much more configurability in the installer than Ubuntu
Alternative or Ubuntu Server) and other distros too.

Rob