Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>

>> If it is a company *owned* machine then the company ought to have
>> in-place enough user security measures (local-machine security policies,
>> group policies, strict group membership (possibly controlled by group
>> policy), etc) in place to prevent the average user from installing
>> software, and only allowing specific users to install software, and that
>> installation being recorded by automatic audit.
>>

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 09:32:17AM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately though a lot of smaller companies don't have things like
>> this in place.
>>

> You will note that the BSA website covers Software Audit programs in great length:
> and it is one of the ways of avoiding the problem. Mind you, someone has to manage
> the process
>
> Given that
> - the BSA claims that software piracy = theft
> - tips from disgruntled employees are a prime source of contacts
> - companies are short of cash / looking to cut costs
>
> Advantage FLOSS:
>
> 1/ Cheaper to buy
> 2/ Reduced admin costs (virus etc)
> 3/ No problems with BSA

Any chance of setting up another meeting like we had a few years ago in
totnes, to promote this, from what i heard this went well but nothing
seemed to happen after wards.  Something to discuss here.

If someone can come up with a brief synopsis of the event, what its
about, room requirements, etc, I can ask around some of the hotels in
Paignton and see if anything can be arranged.   Its then up to the group
to use contacts to arrange / organise talks, etc.

Paul