Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

Mark Evans wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> This company doesn't seem to think about that though despite me
>> protesting about it (and finding one of the staff had malware on their
>> laptop).  When I was working at GCap Media there was a strict policy of
>> not allowing any machine which wasn't company owned on the network
>>
> A company owned machine where it is possible for the end user to add
> extra software is a potential problem here. With Windows laptops
> appearing to be the most likely such situation.
>
> What's to stop a disgruntled employee themselves putting extra software
> in places it shouldn't be
If it is a company *owned* machine then the company ought to have
in-place enough user security measures (local-machine security policies,
group policies, strict group membership (possibly controlled by group
policy), etc) in place to prevent the average user from installing
software, and only allowing specific users to install software, and that
installation being recorded by automatic audit.
>> (luckily they were a bit more lenient about Linux as some of the
>> networking team ran Ubuntu on their company notebooks).
>>
>> Anyway to get to the point, I'd be interested to know if unlicensed
>> software on a staff members personal machine counts if it's been used on
>> a company network.
>>
> So long as the company takes NO interest in the software on the machine
> it shouldn't be any more their problem than if an employee has an
> untaxed, uninsured and unMOTed car in the staff car park.
I imagine the BSA would try to make it count, but like Mark said, it'd
be a bit of a stretch.

Grant.