Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:00:20PM +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
> I've just had another thought.  Where does this £120,000 go?

The BSA seems to go for:
- Actual damages (ie make the company buy full licensed software)
- Costs (ie the more you fight, the harder they prosecute and the more you pay IF
you lose)

Problems would come if eg

- one license was bought for use on one computer
- No one read the license agreement
- 3 other people then used the software very occasionally on their computers eg when
the main user was on holiday

Would this mean that they would have to buy 3 more licenses?

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.