Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

Mark Evans wrote:
> You'd probably then need to consider the implications of what
> "installed" actually means and what exactly comprises a "PC".
> Even what "using" means, given that Microsoft have been bundling RDP
> support for quite some time.

Installed meaning 'the software placed on the computer in a form
rendering it fully functional to the end user'.. roughly speaking.  PC
being whatever computer the manufacturer specifies in their
'Specifications', and no I doubt you'd get away with it saying 'My PC is
a 1Ghz AMD and your minimum says a 1.3Ghz Pentium'.  'Using' I would
define as 'employing the software for its' intended function'.
> Do such concepts as "main user" have any legal basis. Especially when
> refering to employees, even more so if the company itself is a legal entity.

The term main user just followed on from the original question.  The
crux of the matter is that the software should be used on the *same* PC
by however many users need to, if it is only licensed for *one* PC.

Kind regards,

Julian