[LUG] Ubuntu 8.10 if control

I've got a slightly borked Kubuntu that I had upgraded from 8.04 with GDM also
installed and it seemed to think it was Ubuntu after that but its sort of
working and I've got ~5000 extra apps/libraries  loaded and I really don't
want to spent 4 or 5 days on my 512k BB trying to reinstall everything.

1) Does anyone know of a sanity repair for K or Ubuntu.
2) How do I control my interfaces - I have an unused eth0 , a possibly dodgy
ath wlan and a usb ath wlan. I cant seem to control any of them individually,
one off all off.... ifup/down just says the interfaces dont exist )*&!
I've tried re-installing network managers but we seemed to have moved in to
the MS world of 'we know best just leave it to us - we'll screw it up for
you'

Tom te tom te tom